PrepareRI Internship Program
(Scroll down for application link)
Thank you for your interest in the PrepareRI Internship Program. Please read through the information below before applying to make sure you are eligible for the PrepareRI Internship Program.
The PrepareRI Internship Program is funded by the Rhode Island’s Governor’s Workforce Board and is operated by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future (SkillsRI). For questions about this application process, please call Skills RI at 401-680-5960.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
The PrepareRI Internship Program is an intense work-based learning experience where rising high school seniors (current juniors) are placed in a 6 to 8 week paid summer internship. Students selected into the program will make $11.25/hour and earn up to 6 college credits.
We are looking for 300 current high school juniors highly motivated to learn and wanting to explore the world of work. We DO NOT require a certain grade point average (GPA) or attendance record. We believe in creating access to high-quality work-based learning opportunities for students of all abilities.
If you want to learn more about the program before you apply, we are here to answer questions. Please call Skills RI at 401-680-5960 and ask about the PrepareRI Internship Program.
INTERNSHIP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Attend Rhode Island public school
- Junior in high school (2018/2019 school year)
- Rhode Island resident
- Minimum of 16 years of age by March 1, 2019
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Parental/Guardian consent to participate
- Complete online PrepareRI Internship Application
- Complete interview with Skills RI and/or with employers
- Attend 40-hour work-readiness training scheduled for June 24-28, 2019 from 8:30am- 5:30pm*
- Commit to at least 150 hours of work over a 6 – 8 week period from July 1 – August 23, 2019
- Have a flexible schedule for work**
* Accommodations for work-readiness training may be made for conflicts with school-sanctioned events but not guaranteed
** Suggested availability is Monday – Saturday, 6:00 am – 9:00 pm. Employers hosting interns will have varied schedules
APPLICATION & PROGRAM TIMELINE:
- December 3, 2018: Application opens
- February 1, 2019: Application due by 11:59 pm. Incomplete or late applications will NOT BE CONSIDERED
- February 1 – March 29, 2019: Mandatory student-parent/guardian orientation sessions. Notices with dates will be sent to all eligible applicants
- March 1 – April 30, 2019: Student interviews and employer matching
- May 31, 2019: Student notified of acceptance into the program and internship employer placement
- June 24 – 28, 2019: Mandatory work readiness boot camp for selected students
- July 1 – August 23, 2019: Internship takes place. Student must commit to at least 150 hours. Internship will be from 6 to 8 weeks in length based on employer demand
- August 23, 2019: Graduation day